Monday, April 18, 2011

Arcade cabinet restoration complete!


Well, 99% done. I still need to create a better marquee as the one I have created is printed on paper. Instead of buying one online I am considering calling around to some local print shops to see if they will take my design from Viso and print as a decal. I also need to figure out how to create some button descriptions for the control panel. I'm looking into water decals, but am worried that those would rub off. Will check around online.

Despite stripping down the computer's OS to bare minimum, some games stutter slightly. I may consider building the kids a new PC and taking theirs for the cabinet. The cabinet currently has a 1ghz Gateway while the kid's is a 2ghz with an external AGP video card.

I've also e-mailed Ultimarc as the controller will not switch to 8-way mode for some reason. This is making some top-shooter games difficult to play (1942, Gunbird, Sinistar, etc.).

Oh, and what a b$#@! it was getting this thing up the basement stairs!! Ouch!

1 comment:

Chip Lary said...

Sounds like an interesting fix up. So....how does one get an invite to come try it out? :-)

fyi - Years ago Carol Gatti's husband Tony put together a sitdown console that had Frogger, Ms. Pacman and other games on it. If you haven't already, you may want to compare notes with her.