Monday, February 18, 2008

PSA: Starching the perfect shirt

So I think I found the answer to ironing and starching a shirt that is NEAR the quality of professional pressing/dry-cleaning. I'm wearing a blue polo today that, despite my hour drive and two meetings, has maintained it's crispness. Hears the secret:
1. Iron with minimal steam first, the entire shirt
2. Let stand for an hour to dry
3. Iron entire shirt again with starch (Niagara seems to be the best)*
4. Let stand for one hour on hangar
5. Apply a "gentle glazing" of starch to the entire shirt while it's on the hangar
6. Do not put back in closet as it will crumple (unless your closet isn't stuffed to the max like mine).

*When applying starch during ironing process, apply an even glaze across area to be pressed, holding canister approximately 6" from shirt. Also, make sure you use distilled water in your iron. This is supposed to keep the iron clean and prevent the "yellowing" affect on white shirts.

So, I thought y'all would like to know this. Thank me anytime....and if anyone finds my man card please e-mail me at pgcomputerguy@comcast.net. Thanks!

No comments: